If you have any additions or changes to the list, please email:
– After School Activity Zones and Bookable Programmes | Christchurch City Libraries
– Age Concern Canterbury
– Arts and Crafts for Kids | Christchurch City Libraries
– Avebury House
– Babytimes | Christchurch City Libraries
– Canterbury Genealogy
– CINCH | Christchurch City Libraries
– Cycling | Christchurch City Council
– Delta Community Support Trust
– eKnow How: Technology Programmes for Teens and Adults | Christchurch City Libraries
– eResources for Kids | Christchurch City Libraries
– Events for School Children | Christchurch City Libraries
– Family History | Christchurch City Libraries
– Find:Chch | ChristchurchNZ
– 4C Centre
– Mainly Music | Mainly Play
– Mairehau Riding Centre
– “Neighbourhood News”
– Neighbourhood Trust
– Papanui Library
– Parks & Gardens | Christchurch City Council
– Pools | Christchurch City Council
– Reading to Dogs | Christchurch City Libraries
– “Richmond Community News”
– School Holiday Programmes and Activities | Christchurch City Libraries
– Shirley Community Trust
– Shirley Library
– Sport Canterbury
– Sports and Activities | Christchurch City Council
– “St Albans News”
– Storytimes | Christchurch City Libraries
– The Southern Centre | Christchurch City Council
– The Whānau Centre
– Walking and Tramping | Department of Conservation
– What’s On | Christchurch City Council
After School Activity Zones and Bookable Programmes | Christchurch City Libraries
Age Concern Canterbury
Search for activities, organisations and groups around Canterbury.
Arts and Crafts for Kids | Christchurch City Libraries
Address: 9 Eveleyn Couzins Avenue, Richmond, Christchurch 8013
Phone: 03 3816615
Email: [email protected]
– Richmond History Group: https://www.aveburyhouse.co.nz/richmond-history-group
– What’s on at Avebury: https://www.aveburyhouse.co.nz/classes-and-groups.html
Babytimes | Christchurch City Libraries
Wā Pēpi: Babytimes programmes include music, movement, rhymes and a book, and are suitable for babies and under 2s. Check website for locations/times.
The NZ Society of Genealogists – Canterbury Branch was started in 1968. We have many members experienced in genealogy who are willing to help new members and give advice on research.
Address: 75 Queenspark Drive, Parklands, Christchurch 8083 (Parkview Community Lounge)
– Meetings are held twice a month from February-November on the second Thursday of the month at 7.30 pm, and the third Thursday of the month at 9.45 am.
– See our Branch Library page for library hours and key holdings.
– DNA & Genealogy drop-in sessions at Shirley Library on the first and third Saturdays of each month (excluding statutory holidays) from 10am to 12 noon.
If you wish to attend, please book through Shirley Library, phone 941-7923.
CINCH | Christchurch City Libraries
CINCH is an online community directory of clubs, community organisations and continuing education course providers in the greater Christchurch area.
Includes: Arts crafts and hobbies, Citizen and consumer, Community groups, Community studies, Cultural groups, Educational groups, Health and welfare, Home and family, Languages, Occupational training, Personal development, Sports and recreation.
Cycling | Christchurch City Council
Journey through Christchurch’s stunning landscapes and enjoy over 70km of mountain bike tracks and scenic road rides.
Includes: Mountain biking, Family cycling, Other popular rides & Mountain bike trail map.
Delta Community Support Trust
Address: 101 North Avon Road, Richmond, Christchurch 8148
Phone: 03 3890212
Email: [email protected]
– Footprints Cafe & Delta Inn Community Meal: http://www.deltatrust.org.nz/community-services/community-meal-cafe/
– Empowerment Courses: http://www.deltatrust.org.nz/community-services/empowerment-courses/
– Cultural Support (Social English Language Classes & International Playgroup): http://www.deltatrust.org.nz/community-services/cultural-support/
– Community Gardening: http://www.deltatrust.org.nz/community-services/community-gardening/
– Friendship Link: http://www.deltatrust.org.nz/friendship-link/
– Evergreen Club: http://www.deltatrust.org.nz/evergreen-club/
eKnow How: Technology Programmes for Teens and Adults | Christchurch City Libraries
eResources for Kids | Christchurch City Libraries
Upcoming Events in Christchurch
Events for School Children | Christchurch City Libraries
Family History | Christchurch City Libraries
Find out what New Zealand family history resources we hold or can access, the information you are going to find in those resources, and when you need to look elsewhere.
Includes: Introduction to family history resources, Family history for beginners, Family history resources A-Z, Family history eResources, Where to next?
Find:Chch | ChristchurchNZ
Discover what’s on in Ōtautahi-Christchurch. From free events to art exhibitions, festivals to live comedy — you’ll find it all here.
Includes: Eat & Drink, Entertainment, Info & Services, Parks & Recreation, Street Art & Projects
YMCA Christchurch has created a fresh makerspace where young people, regardless of background or experience, can explore their creative potential through our tech and innovation hub. The goal of the Centre is to equip young people with the 4C key competencies (creativity, communication, critical thinking and curiosity) through the use of tech such as 3D printing, virtual reality, CNC cutters, robotics, new computers, editing and design software and more. Any person between the ages of 14-25 can apply directly to become a member of the centre (having a personal access card to use equipment).
Email: [email protected]
KidsFest (10 – 25 July 2021) is an annual two-week Council events program, produced for Canterbury children aged 0-17 years. The festival offers a number of exciting events and activities through the winter school holidays. Children and their families can have fun with crafts, science, performing arts, sports and technology.
Mairehau Riding Centre
Horse Riding, Trekking, Lessons and Group Bookings
The Mairehau Riding Centre provides riding instruction and lessons to children from the age of 6; for complete beginners to more established riders. Enjoy walking, trotting, cantering and jumping depending on your ability.
We do take bookings for school holiday groups, riding for the disabled and birthday parties.
Address: 130 Mairehau Road, Burwood, Christchurch 8083
Imagine what you could do with the right people by your side.
Check out groups in the Christchurch area and give one a try.
– Out of School Care: https://nht.org.nz/oscar-before-after-school-programme/
– Holiday Programmes: https://nht.org.nz/holiday-programmes/
– Parenting Toolbox Courses: https://nht.org.nz/parenting/
– Kiwi Dads: https://nht.org.nz/kiwi-dads/, Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/KiwiDadsChch
– Golden Connection: https://nht.org.nz/golden-connection/
– ESOL Classes: https://nht.org.nz/esol-classes/
– Events: https://nht.org.nz/events/
Address: 35 Langdons Road, Christchurch 8053
Parks & Gardens | Christchurch City Council
Includes: Walking track map, Find a walk, Dogs in parks, Multi-day walks, Port Hills, Hagley Park and Gardens, Plains and wetlands, Beach and coastal, Banks Peninsula & Waterways.
Pools | Christchurch City Council
Includes: Pool fees, Taiora QEII, Jellie Park, Pioneer, Graham Condon, He Puna Taimoana, Outdoor summer pools, Paddling pools & Learn to swim.
– Current pool status, check the current status of Christchurch City Council public pools:
Reading to Dogs | Christchurch City Libraries
Christchurch City Libraries Reading to Dogs programme is designed to provide a relaxed, non-threatening atmosphere which encourages children to practice their reading skills and develop a love of reading.
Address: 21 Acheson Avenue, Mairehau, Christchurch 8013
Email: [email protected]
“Richmond Community News”
– What’s on in Richmond (back page of newsletter). Includes activities for: Avebury House, Delta Community Trust, Holy Trinity Avonside, Delta Baptist Church, Crossway Community Church & Shirley Library.
School Holiday Programmes and Activities | Christchurch City Libraries
Shirley Community Trust
Programmes & Initiatives: https://shirleycommunitytrust.org.nz/programmes-initiatives/
Address: 36 Marshland Road, Christchurch 8061
Explore this guide to connect with local sports clubs, find exercise classes and groups, view upcoming events, link with recreation programmes, and locate parks, grounds and facilities.
– Find out about sports and clubs in Canterbury:
– Find out about classes, groups and programmes in Canterbury:
– Find Parks and Grounds
Sports and Activities | Christchurch City Council
Includes: Basketball courts, BMX tracks, Drones and remotely piloted aircraft, Equestrian, Fishing, Fitness trails, Gym and fitness centres, Orienteering, Pétanque terrains, Rock climbing, Skateparks, Swimming pools & Tennis courts.
Storytimes | Christchurch City Libraries
Wā Kōrero: Storytimes programmes include stories, music, movement and rhymes for children aged 2 and over. Check website for locations/times.
The Southern Centre | Christchurch City Council
The Southern Centre is a multi-sensory environment for people of all ages and abilities.
Learn, explore, create and stimulate your senses through the use of innovative lighting and sound technology. It is a unique facility with the ability to cater to the needs of the individual, empowering you to choose your own environment, make changes and control your leisure time. Interact with the smell machine, bubble column, shadow wall and more – all aimed at stimulating an individual’s senses through smell, touch, light and sound.
The Whānau Centre
Address: 49 Nancy Avenue, Mairehau, Christchurch 8052
Phone: 03 3556522
Email: [email protected]
– What’s happening at The Whānau Centre?
Job Seeker Support, Hui with Aroha, English as a Second Language classes (ESOL), Parenting Space, Men’s Group, Explorer Series.
Walking and Tramping | Department of Conservation
Find places to go walking and tramping in Canterbury.
Map includes options for: Duration, Difficulty, Dogs allowed, Wheelchairs and buggies.
Highlights: Short Walks, Day Hikes, Great Walks, Family-friendly walks and tramps.
What’s On | Christchurch City Council
Discover what’s on in Ōtautahi-Christchurch.
From free events to art exhibitions, festivals to live comedy — you’ll find it all here.
Includes: Arts & Culture, Community, Food & Drink, Markets & Expos, Sport & Recreation, Education & Workshops.