Dallington | History

Formerly Dudley’s Creek and Broom Farm. Named after John Dudley (1808-1861) and his farm. He was a son of the Rev. Edward Dudley, Rector of Broom, Staffordshire.
Re-named Dallington. Named by Henry Joseph Campbell Jekyll (1844-1913).
John Dudley bought Rural Section 183, 100 acres on the “Avon, North Bank” from the Canterbury Association in 1851, calling it Broom Farm.
His estate auctioned the property in 1879, advertising it as a “valuable estate situated close to Christchurch, beautifully situated and in every way fitted up for the occupation of a family”.
Henry Jekyll bought the property and changed its name to Dallington, naming it after a family estate in Northamptonshire.
https://christchurchcitylibraries.com/Heritage/PlaceNames/ChristchurchPlaceNames-A-M.pdf, Pg 91